Wednesday, February 25, 2009

From V-day to B-day




Even though it was weeks ago, I'm finally getting around to writing about our first Valentine's Day experience in DC. I got The Hubs tickets to what I thought would be a swanky wine tasting at the DC Wine and Food Festival. However, they totally oversold - or over comped, more likely - admission to the Grand Cru lounge tasting and it was pretty packed. Plus, if you've ever been to a tasting like this, then you know how shovey and pushy wine snobs can be. We tasted some great stuff, though.



If you care about these sorts of things, here are some of my favorites from the tasting...

  • 2004 Alexander Valley Vineyards Cyrus



  • 2006 Tenuta Sette Ponti Oreno Super Tuscan



  • 2005 Opus One Meritage



  • 2002 Tattinger Brut Millesime Sparkling

Now, a word of warning. The Hubs has spoiled me, and now realizes (in a Dr. Frankenstein-the-monster-is-alive kind of way) that my preference is not for the value wines, but the good stuff. Like, the kinda pricey stuff. But hey, I firmly believe that you get what you pay for. It's his fault for always walking through the door at the end of the day with some fabulous bottle that he bought with his employee discount. ; )

Still, The Hubs appeared to be pretty happy...



Action tasting shot.


So, what was my little Valentine's day surprise? Little, indeed. To get the full story I have to take you back to the night before V-day, a Friday night after a long stressful week at work. Most Friday night celebrations of Transactionista and The Hubs involve, guess what, multiple bottles of wine, and this Friday was no exception. Which led us the next morning to bemoan the fact that Northern Virginia lacks that savior of the hangover, Bojangles. If you ever find yourself in the great state of North Carolina, get thee to a Bojangles right away and order some Bo-rounds. It's bo-tastic. I digress. So the closest that we could get to greasy fried chicken biscuits was Popeye's.
The Hubs returns with breakfast...two bags of food? That is odd; I didn't think we got that much...Wait, one of these bags feels heavy. Rightfully so, seeing as how one of the "boxes of food" was actually this type of box:

Inside of which was another box (can you see the little leather pillow?? so cute..):




Which held this:


So, let me summarize. I took my husband to a crappy, overcrowded, amateur drunk fest via public transportation, complete with a "boxed lunch" to be followed later by a very romantic Valentine's Day pizza, and The Hubs got me a watch from Tiffany. (And of course now I know how much it cost since I got the pic from their website and feel even more guilty.) I swear that my plans are always better in my head...

No comments: